Wednesday, August 29, 2007

2009 To 5?

2009 To 5?

Among all the films currently being developed for stage musical treatment, 9 To 5 is the one that you want most to see, according to your votes in my recent SOB Poll. Now it's looking likely to bust out on Broadway in 2009.

Earlier this summer, I posed the following via my SOB Poll: "A musical version of 9 To 5 is the latest stage treatment for a popular film. Which previously announced stage adaptation of a movie would you most like to see on Broadway?"

A very strong 40.9% of you indicated that it would indeed be your top choice. That was way ahead of the second top response: "Enough already with turning films into musicals!" at 18.2%.

Already the subject of plenty of press attention, 9 To 5 has all the makings of a double-barreled hit with Dolly Parton handling the score, Joe Mantello at the helm and a cast that could conceivably include Allison Janney, Stephanie J. Block (who's about to return to Wicked), Megan Hilty, Bebe Neuwirth, Marc Kudisch and Andy Karl -- that is, if the recent reading was any indication.

Now, according to Playbill, the musically-endowed 2006 Kennedy Center Honoree has told listeners to Go Country 105.1 in Los Angeles that the tuner will hit the Great White Way in 2009:

People ask if I'm gonna be in the play. I say, "No, I think I'm a bit over the age of wantin' to be a secretary. But they asked me to write all the music for it, so I have written all the music. And it's supposed to open on Broadway in the spring of 2009. I believe they're gonna be doin' a workshop out here at the Shubert in the fall of next year.

No matter that Parton most likely meant "tryout" rather than "workshop," I'm actually looking forward to see this one play out.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 30 August, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am soooo angry that they didn't call me in to read the part of 'Margaret Foster.'

The old lush.

'Atta girl...

 
At 30 August, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

E - Atta girl, indeed. That was my favorite character. See you in a couple days!

 
At 30 August, 2007, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

I love this movie - I think it's going to really translate well to stage with Dolly's writing. I think Megan H. is good, but I hope they find 3 actresses are similar in age and it would be nice if all 3 were in their late 40s or 50s. Older actresses are just more interesting. It seems like an awful long time away though. Sigh.

 
At 31 August, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Sarah, There are certainly plenty of mature actresses who would be great additions. I've never heard Allison Janney sing before (she was pretty funny in the film version of "Hairspray," but she only was able to demonstrate her comedic skills).

 
At 30 March, 2010, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I have removed a comment that was in violation of rules 3 and 4. They will not be tolerated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner