Thursday, June 21, 2007

Television Comes To Broadway

Television Comes To Broadway

Earlier this year, Aaron Sorkin's new play The Farnsworth Invention played to sold-out crowds at the Left Coast's La Jolla Playhouse. I even attempted to find tickets for myself, but had to settle for the Altar Boyz during my San Diego visit (don't worry, Altar Boyz fans, I enjoyed the show).

Perhaps now I'll have my chance to catch Sorkin's work as it's finally been confirmed for Broadway. According to the casting notice, previews are to begin October 15, with opening night scheduled for November 18.

The Des McAnuff-helmed play is Sorkin's theatrical dramatization of the race to develop that little technological breakthrough you may have heard of called television. No word yet on whether Steven Spielberg will be involved as previously reported.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Related Stories:
Out Of The Mouths Of Rockers: Flaming Lips Musical Headed For Broadway? (March 20, 2007)
Altar Boyz (The SOB Review) (March 12, 2007)

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 22 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not a huge Aaron Sorkin fan. I think his TV shows have tended to be overly sentimental and cloying. But I did like the film version of A Few Good Men. And the premise beind The Farnsworth Invention - who really deserves credit for inventing television - sounds interesting. Plus, the two characters at the center of the story, Philo T. Farnsworth and David Sarnoff, came from such completely different backgrounds, small-town Western farmboy versus Eastern European immigrant. And then there's the question of who really "invents" something. To what extent does someone just build on the work of others? And it sounds like the reception in California was good. So, I guess I'm intrigued!

 
At 22 June, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, I'm probably one of the few who didn't enjoy "The West Wing," perhaps since I saw the inside of politics during my DC years. I also found "Studio 60" falling far short of its hype.

Having said that, I find the premise of The Farnsworth Invention intriguing and hope to tune into it.

 
At 25 June, 2007, Blogger Nicole said...

I'm really excited about this! So glad it's headed our way. I think Sorkin can be hit or miss, but when he's on, he is ON.

Thanks for your post on my site! I absolutely love yours!!!!!

 
At 25 June, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Brooklyn Gal, Thanks so much for your comments - I agree about Sorkin.

Also, welcome to Steve On Broadway. Hope you'll keep tuning in here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner