Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tonys: Sound Designers' Voices To Be Heard

Tonys: Sound Designers' Voices To Be Heard

It's as if the Tony Awards Administration Committee was listening to my fellow bloggers Broadway & Me and Erica at Mid Hudson Valley Theatre Blog, both of whom recently advocated that the Tonys enter the 21st Century by honoring sound designers. Today, the committee voted to add a sound design award in both play and musical categories.

It's about time. Can you hear me cheering?

I also want to voice my support to another idea advanced by Broadway & Me: to provide an award for the burgeoning use of projection design. As I shared with this exceptional blogger, I've been riveted by the video and projection design incorporated into Frost/Nixon and other fare on Broadway and elsewhere.

One of the most stunning and haunting uses of video projection I've seen was in the 2004 Broadway revival of Assassins that showed the notorious Zapruder film on Lee Harvey Oswald's (Neil Patrick Harris) white T-shirt. I can't wait to see the upcoming revival of Sunday In The Park With George at the very same Studio 54; from all I've heard, its projection design plays an integral role in the show.

Personally, I'd like to nominate one more category for Tony consideration. The Screen Actors Guild bestows an award for "Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble" for film and television. There are far too many unsung tertiary actors languishing in the background who, because of their performances, actually galvanize the show and make the difference between an excellent production and one that's merely good. An ensemble award would finally recognize the synergy of a great cast.

I'd be interested in hearing your point of view.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 20 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve - yes, the use of projection in the Menier's production of SITPWG is quite extraordinary and delightful. Very highly recommended.

They could never have an award for sound design here in London because it's nearly always rubbish.

 
At 20 June, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Andrew - Coming from you, that's very high praise, indeed! Sorry to learn that sound isn't up to snuff across the pond (I actually noticed troubles last time I was there...)

 
At 20 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, thanks for the generous applause. Thanks too for pointing me to Erica's blog. I'm delighted that the Tony committee decided to acknowledge the work of the sound designers. And it's fun to think that we bloggers may have played even some tiny part in that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner