Thursday, March 08, 2007

Prelude: Previews To Opening Night

Prelude: Previews To Opening Night

This evening marks the official opening for the revival of Craig Lucas' Prelude To A Kiss on Broadway. Renowned director Daniel Sullivan helms this Roundabout Theatre Company production at the American Airlines Theatre.

The play already appears to be contending with quite a bit of negative buzz generated during its preview performances.

One friend advised me that in the show's pivotal "kiss," there was a complete lack of magic associated with it, leading several of the audience's members to say aloud, "I don't get it." Additionally, two bloggers I regularly read, Rocco of What's Good/What Blows In New York Theatre and Mondschein in Third Row, Mezzanine, have already offered mostly negative assessments of the show. Rocco is scathing, leading his preview review by saying, "The dirty laundry on my bedroom floor has more life in it than Roundabout's Prelude To A Kiss, which I recommend avoiding at all cost."

One positive advance voice belongs to Cameron of Theatre Snobbery At Its Finest, who says, in part, "I fell in love with the play and production....the play (is) a truly darling marriage of style and substance."

The big question I've been asking is whether Sullivan will have been able to shore up this production during previews to make for a compelling and successful opening night. We'll learn soon enough when the critics weigh-in.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Prelude To Prelude Previews (January 11, 2007)

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 08 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve: I actually have a ticket to see Prelude on Saturday, but now I'm seriously thinking of skipping it. It's part of my Roundabout subscription, and I only got that for Apple Tree and 110 in the Shade. Tomorrow's reviews will no doubt help me decide.

 
At 08 March, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Chris, Not sure if you saw the play during its first run on Broadway or even the movie, but I actually like the story. As always, I will provide a critics' capsule on this show sometime tomorrow.

If you do end up seeing the show, I'll look forward to your review (along with all the others)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner