Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Pittu's Hit Parade Leads To LoveMusik

Pittu's Hit Parade Leads To LoveMusik

Have you ever seen an actor, of whom you've never previously heard anything, who blows you away -- so much and so positively -- that you know you'll never forget them? Actor David Pittu, who is currently part of the phenomenal cast of The Coast Of Utopia, is one such actor.

Last week, as the full cast for the upcoming Manhattan Theatre Club world premiere production of LoveMusik was announced, I was delighted to learn that Pittu would be portraying Bertolt Brecht to Michael Cerveris' Kurt Weill and Donna Murphy's Lotte Lenya. The pedigree of this tuner cannot be understated. Not only does the legendary Hal Prince direct the show that uses Weill's own musical canon, it also features a book by Alfred Uhry.

I first caught Pittu when I took in the 2000 tour of the Uhry/Jason Robert Brown musical Parade. Pittu absolutely took my breath away with his brilliant portrayal of the tragic Leo Frank. It should be noted that critics hailed Pittu's breakthrough performance and largely credited him for helping the tour succeed in measurable ways that surpassed the original Broadway production. Pittu was so superb that he was honored with the National Broadway Award for Best Actor in a Musical.

Pittu's addition to the cast of LoveMusik is enough to push me toward purchasing a ticket. Previews for the show begin on April 12; the musical opens on May 3 at the Biltmore Theatre.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for ticket information.
Related Stories:
LoveMusik To Play On Broadway This Spring (November 18, 2006)
Driving Alfred Uhry (November 6, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 08 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very interested to see how Alfred Uhry will tackle the story of Lotte Lenya and Kurt Weill, especially after reading your praise for "Parade" and "Edgardo Mine." Once again, he's dealing with real people caught up in events that are beyond their control. I've read that Uhry is basing it on their letters. Do you think it'll be a linear story, or mainly excerpts from the letters?

"The Threepenny Opera" is really the only Weill work that I know, but I'm a big fan of "Mack the Knife" in all of its various arrangements.

And according to my Broadway theater map, which I always keep close at hand, the Biltmore is just across the street from the Brooks Atkinson. Hmm, maybe I could make a Sunday night show after my Sunday matinee. So little time, so much to see!

 
At 08 March, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, Keep in mind that LoveMusik will only have Sunday evening performances during April, meaning that whatever you would see would be in previews.

 
At 08 March, 2007, Blogger Rocco said...

I agree, Pitttu is one of the finest working actors in New York. He also got great reviews last season for the Pinter one acts at the Atlantic and STUFF HAPPENS at the Public.

A couple years ago I saw a reading of a musical he wrote and played the lead in called JACOB STERLING: FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. And I'm telling you, it was straight up brilliant and hysterical. Waiting For Guffman meets September 11th (but more tasteful than it sounds. I'm praying that one day his schedule will free up so it can get produced.

 
At 08 March, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Rocco, Glad to know I'm not the only fan, although I seriously doubted I was.

For Crying Out Loud sounds like quite a concept. Appreciate the heads-up on that one.

I should have mentioned that Pittu shared in the Drama Desk's ensemble win honor for Stuff Happens. Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner