Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Another Cabaret? It Couldn't Please Me More


Another Cabaret? It Couldn't Please Me More

Despite the fact that the last celebrated revival of Cabaret -- arguably John Kander and Fred Ebb's most enduring musical -- occurred a scant twelve years ago on London's West End (it would take another four years before the Sam Mendes-helmed production made its way to Broadway), director Rufus Norris (an Olivier Award winner for Festen) is bringing the tuner back to London's Lyric Theatre this September. The official opening is set for October 10.

While casting is yet to be announced, it appears that the guessing game on who'll fill the shoes of Sally Bowles and The Emcee is in high gear. London's What's On Stage is fueling some of the speculation by noting that rumors are circulating that Natalie Portman may be up against comedian Eddie Izzard for the plum role of Sally Bowles; Martine McCutcheon, who won the Olivier for her acclaimed performance as Eliza Doolittle opposite Jonathan Pryce in My Fair Lady, is also mentioned.

Sheila Hancock, who played Miss Hannigan in the first West End staging of Annie that I saw way back in 1979, is rumored for the role of Fraulein Schneider -- I can still remember being so awed by her talent that it would be a thrill to see her again all these years later.

I'll be sure to report on each of the casting decisions for this emotionally rich musical.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 08 July, 2006, Blogger Erica said...

Caberet is one of my favorite shows. It's good to hear another production is opening. I saw it twice in NYC for it's last run. It will be very interesting to see who gets cast - It must be intimidating to step into those roles, as there are some pretty big shoes to fill ... Joel Grey, Liza ...

 
At 09 July, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

While I never had the chance to see Alan Cumming in the last revival, I did see Norbert Leo Butz in the touring company in the emcee role. That was my first chance to see this superstar in the making.

 
At 22 July, 2006, Blogger StephenMosher said...

I have seen more productions of CABARET than almost any other musical (the others on that list are GYPSY and FORUM--INTO THE WOODS is getting up there). I have said for a long time that I can't see CABARET again. The last one I saw was the revival and it was so perfect, I will never forget it.

However...

Whether they use Eddie Izzard (um...ok...interesting...), Martine McCutcheon (sigh...Natalie in LOVE ACTUALLY...) or my beloved Natalie Portman (immortalized on my left arm for all time), I may have to get my ass over there for this one.

 
At 22 July, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

There has also been recent word that Cabaret is popping up elsewhere... DC's Arena Stage has just announced a mounting with Glenn Seven Allen (The Light in the Piazza), Brad Oscar (The Producers) and Meg Gillentine this September 8-October 29.

And right now, visitors to New England can catch Andrea McArdle (Annie) as Sally Bowles in Cabaret at the Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine through tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner