Saturday, September 04, 2010

Wicked Greetings From HEL!

Wicked Greetings From HEL!

Greeting from Helsinki, Finland!

Yesterday afternoon, I touched down at a relatively chilly HEL with the Love Of My Life (LOML) and one of our dearest friends. My LOML and I are still trekking the globe in our continued quest to see Stephen Schwartz's Wicked around the world.

Regular readers know that for my LOML and I, this is "our musical." Some couples have their song, we have our musical. (And only our dearest of dear friends completely understand why this tuner has resonated with us since we first saw it two days after it opened on Broadway nearly 7 years ago.)

By the time this posts, I'll have just experienced the first "non-replicated" production of the musical at Finland's Helsingin Kaupungin Teatteri (Helsinki City Theatre) during a Saturday afternoon matinee (there are no evening performances today). Non-replicated means that this Wicked does not use the original Broadway staging. Instead, it's been conceived with new creative designs under Hans Berndtsson's direction. But glimpse through the official program, and you'll see many familiar elements.

The Helsinki staging marks the fourth language and the sixth nation in which my LOML and I have seen Wicked. What a wonderful journey it's been, particularly in experiencing such different cultures, sights, cuisines and best of all, the people.

Currently, this production of Wicked is selling tickets through December 31, 2010. I'll provide more insights on the show once I return home from this Oz next week.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).


In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner