Monday, June 07, 2010

My Year On Broadway: Most To Least

My Year On Broadway: Most To Least - 2009-2010 Theatrical Season

During Broadway’s 2009-10 Theatrical Season, 38 new and revived musicals and plays opened on the Great White Way. I was fortunate to see every single one of them, which is up from last year when ultimately I caught 32 out of last year's 44 new shows.

While I'll write soon about the best and worst shows I've seen over the past year -- with some topping my lists from venues other than Broadway -- I'm once again pleased to rank all this past season's Main Stem shows beginning with those I liked the most to the least (you may click on each to see my full SOB Review).

As regular readers know, in addition to my SOB Reviews for each show, I also employ a star system, awarding up to four stars for the best productions all the way down to zero stars for absolute bottom-of-the barrel rubbish (fortunately, in my decades of theatregoing, I've only seen shows that come within a half-star of rock bottom, and none of this year's Broadway shows are ranked any lower than a single star).

While the system is imperfect, it does offer readers seeking a quick reading as to whether I thought the show was excellent, poor or somewhere in between. Even though there were some exceptional offerings this season, I’ve long believed that this has been a rather mediocre year overall, and the star system average of 2.5 seems to bear that out.

So here's my most to least favorite list of the Broadway shows I've seen over the past year:

1. Red ****
2. Superior Donuts ****
3. Brighton Beach Memoirs ****
4. Fences ***1/2
5. Enron ***1/2
6. Time Stands Still ***1/2
7. Lend Me A Tenor ***1/2
8. La Cage Aux Folles ***1/2
9. Fela! ***1/2
10. Oleanna ***1/2
11. The Royal Family ***
12. Memphis ***
13. A Little Night Music ***
14. Hamlet ***
15. Everyday Rapture ***
16. Ragtime **1/2
17. Sondheim On Sondheim **1/2
18. A View From The Bridge **1/2
19. Finian's Rainbow **1/2
20. Wishful Drinking **1/2
21. The Addams Family **1/2
22. A Steady Rain **1/2
23. Burn The Floor **1/2
24. Million Dollar Quartet **
25. In The Next Room or the vibrator play **
26. Promises, Promises **
27. Collected Stories **
28. A Behanding In Spokane **
29. All About Me **
30. American Idiot *1/2
31. The Miracle Worker *1/2
32. Present Laughter *1/2
33. Looped *1/2
34. Next Fall *1/2
35. After Miss Julie *1/2
36. Race *1/2
37. Bye Bye Birdie *
38. Come Fly Away *

What were your most and least favorite Broadway shows of the past year?

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 08 June, 2010, Blogger Linda said...

I'm with you on Red, but several shows would also be at the top of my list that didn't make it as high on yours: Ragtime, Finian's Rainbow, In The Next Room, and American Idiot. I'm taking my mom to see Come Fly Away on Sunday and the fact that you think it's worse than Bye Bye Birdie really worries me!

 
At 08 June, 2010, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Take heart, Linda, a friend of mine loved Come Fly Away. Perhaps I should not have seen it so shortly after seeing Red!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner