Monday, July 06, 2009

More August Down Under With American Original

More August Down Under With American Original

When August: Osage County posted its closing notice for Broadway a couple weeks back, those prone to parsing statements may have noted I concluded my wrap-up saying:

But something tells me that you haven't heard the last of the original cast of August: Osage County. And with that, I'll just say so long for now.
Now I can reveal what I had only hinted at.

According to the Tuesday, July 7 issue of The Age:

The biggest-selling stage show so far this year, the Melbourne Theatre Company's production of hit August: Osage County will be staged in Sydney next year. But audiences will not get to see one of the grande dames of Australian theatre, Robyn Nevin, in one of her most defining roles.

Instead, the Sydney Theatre Company is importing the original production by Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre Company that has appeared in New York and London. It will be presented in the 900-seat Sydney Theatre and follows on from the importation of Alan Bennett's The History Boys by London's National Theatre in 2006.

It was the Steppenwolf production that Tracy Letts' play that won five Tony Awards in New York.
So, now you know more about this ever-evolving story that began just over two years ago last month in Chicago.

Anyone game for going Down Under?

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).


Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 07 July, 2009, Blogger crossoverman said...

Well, I might have to make the trip up to Sydney myself! Although I fully understand wanting to import the original cast, the Australian cast was so superb, it's hard to fathom why the Melbourne production wouldn't have been moved to Sydney.

Besides, I am so used to seeing American productions imported (though without their casts), it was great to see what the Melbourne Theatre Company could do with a bit of freedom.

Interesting stuff.

 
At 07 July, 2009, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I'll bet the MTC production was superb. But when you have an opportunity to see the original cast (or presumably most of them) in roles that its playwright wrote with them in mind, wouldn't you prefer to see that? I know I would.

 
At 07 July, 2009, Blogger Kevin Daly said...

I still think it was a shame the original cast wasn't preserved on either recording or PBS telecast.

But I will close my eyes, click my heels together three times and maybe I'll be lucky enough to be in Sydney...

I cannot get enough of Amy Morton as Barb, it's almost shameless!

 
At 08 July, 2009, Blogger Joseph Gomez said...

dudes, to be inappropriate, i get a big hard on for amy morton as barb. no shame.

i'll go to sydney. who's paying?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner