Thursday, May 07, 2009
In the latest issue of New York magazine, Jesse Green makes an excellent case for a Tony ensemble award that's worthy of consideration by the Tony Administration Committee.
As I said when this year's Olivier Award nominations were announced in February, London's version of the Tonys at least recognizes companies that are running on all cylinders.
When the collective acting efforts in which one excellent singular performance more often than not depends on the outstanding performances by others in the cast -- and I dare say, one could easily make the case perennially -- hasn't the time finally come for the Tonys to provide a new acting category that duly recognizes each year's Best Ensemble?
This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).
Life is a stage. Act appropriately. - steve on broadway (sob)
SOB's Current Headlines
- Our Town (The SOB Review)
- Guys And Dolls (The SOB Review)
- And The 2008-09 Tony Nominations Go To...
- Quick Tony Post
- Happy Birthday, Esther (Gratuitous Violins)!
- Impressionism (The SOB Review)
- Tale Of Two Openings: Working 9 To Godot
- Annie: Thirty Years Later
- RIP Bea Arthur (1922-2009)
- SOB At Three
The SOB Poll
Current Broadway Shows
Broadway's 2010-11 Theatrical Season
- Name: Steve On Broadway (SOB)
- Location: United States
As someone who has been involved in both politics and public relations, it's no wonder I love watching theatre. Good or bad, it's the raw energy of seeing a live performance that gets my adrenaline pumping. From the moment I saw my very first Broadway show ("Annie" in London in 1979), I was hooked. Now I see as many as 70 shows each year ranging from soaring musicals to two-hander plays. And these eyes just may be in an audience near you!
Subscribe to SOB
Follow SOB on Twitter
Follow SOB on Facebook
Real-Live Bloggers SOB Knows Personally
Other Blogs SOB Reads
One Blog Read That Can Positively Change Lives
SOB's Favorite Theatre Sites
- American Theatre Wing
- American Theatre Wing's Tony Awards
- Live Broadway
- Internet Broadway Database
- Broadway TV
- Broadway Across America
- Society of London Theatre's Laurence Olivier Awards
- London's What's On Stage
- London Theatre Guide
- New York Post Theater Blog
- New York Times Arts Beat Blog
- Theatre.com (London)
- Steppenwolf Theatre