Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Great Reason To Return To Osage County In February

Great Reason To Return To Osage County In February

According to Playbill, Tony Award winning actress Elizabeth Ashley is now set to tackle the plum dramatic role of Broadway's favorite wacky Aunt Mattie Fae Aiken in August: Osage County.

Ashley will replace Molly Regan, the Steppenwolf ensemble member who herself had replaced the amazing Rondi Reed. In June, Reed won a very well-deserved Tony for her portrayal, which London audiences are now enjoying).

While I've had two opportunities to see Ashley tread the boards of Broadway -- in 2003's Enchanted April and in the excellent 2000 revival of Gore Vidal's The Best Man -- my biggest regret of this year has been my inability to see Ashley perform in Horton Foote's Dividing The Estate.

Given how much I admire her tremendous body of work, I just may opt to see August: Osage County for my fifth time. I can only imagine how delicious it would be to see her opposite Estelle Parsons.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 23 December, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

Oh wow, having seen Ms. Ashley for the first time in Dividing the Estate, I think she'll be terrific! I can just picture her in that role. Definitely worth a return trip!

 
At 24 December, 2008, Blogger Kevin Daly said...

Perhaps we should all plan a visit? I know I'm game for Ashley in just about anything, especially after seeing her on the Broadway: The Golden Age documentary and onstage in "August"

I think she will be a fantastic Mattie Fae.

 
At 24 December, 2008, Blogger Kevin Daly said...

And since you've seen the majority of the original cast in the four performances/three incarnations you've taken in, I would be most curious to see/hear what you and Doug thought of seeing the play and how it holds up with a mostly replacement cast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner