Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Ivanov Afternoon

Ivanov Afternoon

While today's big theatrical event (for me) is reserved for this evening, this afternoon will find me taking in one of London's hottest tickets.

At the behest of Modern Fabulousity, I snared tickets to see Kenneth Branagh perform in the title role of a new revival for Anton Chekhov's Ivanov. Helmed by Michael Grandage, this "new version" of the classic play is supplied by none other than the estimable Tom Stoppard. This Donmar Warehouse production is also being performed as the launch of the theatre company's year-long residency at Wyndham's Theatre.

While described by many London critics as a "must see," the assessment mattering most to me was from the real arbiters of West End taste: the West End Whingers. I was relieved to read in their review:
Although Act 1 was distinctly un-gripping, Act 2 was better and good enough to get the Whingers back after the interval. It got grippier and grippier and by Act 4 the Whingers were having a whale of a time.

If not a whale of a time, I'm hoping my decision to reel in some tickets at least proves to be time well spent.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 26 November, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about posting here;
Off topic,
the Loss of Gerald Schoenfeld,
He will be missed
A Good man a gentlemen
A good friend of Local No.One
He realised that all people in theater Could and should have a right to make a living

 
At 26 November, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thanks Anonymous. Appreciate you acting as my Broadway correspondent while I'm away, and I agree with what you've said quite well. I'll be sure to post an "in memoriam" a little later.

 
At 26 November, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see what you think of BOTH your London shows. I'm officially your most jealous fan. :-)

 
At 27 November, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

ModFab, Ivanov was excellent through and through. Best Chekhov I've ever seen, and that was coming off of a lot of jetlag, too.

August: Osage County was everything it has been before, and if anything, sharpened even more. Didn't think that would be possible. The show's few new actors meshed in extremely well.

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner