Thursday, January 03, 2008

Quick Take On Sweeney Todd

Quick Take On Sweeney Todd

Talk about some unfinished business.

I completely neglected to even mention that I caught the silver screen version of "Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street" the day it opened widely on December 21. "Sweeney Todd" is, of course, based upon the Stephen Sondheim stage musical masterpiece on the overextension of revenge.

To put it simply -- and at the risk of sounding like a cliché -- Tim Burton's "Sweeney Todd" is truly a ripping, bloody good film that left a surprising lump in my throat.

But what's with the androgynous Anthony Hope as portrayed by Jamie Campbell Bower? He was far creepier than Johnny Depp's excellent turn as the title character or Helena Bonham Carter's downright delicious take on Mrs. Lovett.

This flick deserves all the accolades that it's receiving. Hopefully that can turn into a little box office gold. The movie has already taken in approximately $30,609,858 during its first two weeks in release, but it's only showing on about a third of the screens as the top films of the week (1249 to be exact).

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Related Stories:
SOB's 6 Singular Sensations Of '06 - #1: Patti LuPone (December 30, 2006)
SOB's Best of 2005-06: #10 - Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (May 15, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 03 January, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

I'm glad "Sweeney" is doing so well, even though I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD so I can avert my eyes through most of the movie! Is the singing good enough to make you want to go out and get the soundtrack? I am anxious to see how some of my favorite songs, like "A Little Priest," are done. I don't know about Helena Bonham Carter. I've seen Angela Lansbury on DVD, and she's pretty delicious!

 
At 03 January, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

You know, I've never seen the Angela Lansbury performance in toto - I've only seen her "Little Priest" rendition from an old Tony Award presentation.

While HBC doesn't have near the voice of the amazing Patti LuPone who last portrayed Mrs. Lovett, she does bring an earthy quality to the role.

And yes, I certainly plan to purchase the CD.

 
At 03 January, 2008, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

SOB - you must get the Sweeney tour DVD - it's completely worth seeing, not for the delicious Angela but also for the incredible Emmy winning performance by George Hearn. Talk about menacing! I love every version of Sweeney, as you probably know. Don't wait for the DVD Esther, it's worth seeing. I just turned my head during the gross part. I've listened to the soundtrack several times and really enjoy it. Helena doesn't have a broadway voice but she's very effective in the role. As for Jamie Lynn Bowers, google a picture of Claire Danes and you'll see that they must be twins. Yikes. I was more grossed out by him than the "blood".

 
At 03 January, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thanks Sarah, I'll add the tour DVD to my list.

And I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who wondered what they were thinking with Jamie Lynn Bowers.

 
At 09 January, 2008, Blogger Nicole said...

I loved this movie! Helena Bonham Carter does not have the best voice, but it's got a breathy quality that adds to the spooky, haunting feeling of the movie. I found it very effective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner