Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Deconstructing Harry

Deconstructing Harry

As noted yesterday, I took in Harold Pinter's The Homecoming over the weekend.

While my SOB Review is still forthcoming, I will tell you that I felt absolutely dazed as I left the performance.

When I shared some of my initial thoughts with a friend on the Left Coast, he told me how much he loved the production, calling it "brilliant."

Intrigued, I asked my friend why. Here was his response:

I have a very dark view of humankind so The Homecoming resonates with me. The play imperceptibly shifts from a domestic family drama to showing what evil ordinary beings are capable of. If you don't, like me, believe that people are intrinsically bad, then I can see why this play would disgust you. I don't think I could ever get you to see what I see in this play. Does that make any sense?
Quite a sad indictment on the human race.

Perhaps the John Lahr New Yorker piece should be required reading for anyone daring to set foot in the Cort Theatre while The Homecoming revival is playing.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Did Critics Crown This Year's Homecoming King? (December 17, 2007)
Opening: Pinter's Homecoming Returns To Broadway (December 17, 2007)
Esparza's Homecoming Finds Him In Good Company (July 24, 2007)

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 08 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that this play was brilliant too. Pinter is a genius in my opinion. Most people seem to either love him or hate him. Nothing is ever tidy and neat with him and it always leaves me daydreaming about the play and feeling a little uneasy. Which I think is a good thing.

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Richard, It certainly had me thinking and entering into discussions with others...

 
At 08 January, 2008, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

Uneasy feeling is right. UGH!

 
At 09 January, 2008, Blogger Aaron Riccio said...

Well, here's the question. Does the Pinter play really show what evil we're all CAPABLE of? I mean, there's been far worse depictions of human depravity both on and off the stage, and my problem with "The Homecoming" is that it's representative rather than real. Symbolic abuse, rendered as subtle as it is malicious by Pinter's rhythmic language, doesn't accomplish much. Glad it moved some people, but to me, the point was made rather quickly and then had nowhere to go. It certainly couldn't DEVELOP in such purposefully stifling conditions. Is that the point? If we don't leave home, we'll be stunted? Or is this just a theatrical stunt?

 
At 09 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of comming home
Tonights new cast of color purple!
BeBe W
Chaka
Zonia ?
And some other american Idol star

See it before it loads out

 
At 09 January, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Aaron, As I'm still reeling from watching this production, I'm in complete agreement with your erudite assessment.

Kathy, twice is enough for me in seeing The Color Purple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner