Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hatshepsut City Limits

Hatshepsut City Limits

Michael Riedel reports in this morning's New York Post that Tina Turner may soon receive her Four Seasons treatment.

No, I'm not talking about the gorgeous 68 years young überdiva relaxing in the renowned hotel chain's spa closest to her Swiss home.

No, I'm talking about a possible jukebox musical (a la Jersey Boys) replay of her 1993 life-inspired Oscar-winning film "What's Love Got To Do With It" that chronicles her early rise to fame, her tempestuous relationship with the very recently deceased Ike Turner, and her victorious 80s comeback without and in spite of him. The show is tentatively titled Simply The Best, after her 1989 hit song, "The Best."

Oh, and there's apparently an additional layer of storyline that a stage incarnation might include.

Tina believes she's the reincarnation of ancient Egyptian Queen Hatshepsut, who tried to prevent her nephew and stepson Thutmose III -- considered the "Napoleon of Ancient Egypt" -- from claiming the throne upon her death, although he did anyway. According to Riedel, that would be Ike. In the London reading held last year, Riedel reports that Hatshepsut helps prevent Tina from becoming the most tragic kind of domestic abuse statistic.

As a huge Tina Turner fan -- I've seen her perform more than once in concert, including one stellar performance around 2000 in which she was hoisted out over the audience and directly above me in my 10th row center seat -- I think her amazing life story could make for a very compelling stage show.

With the added ancient Egyptian elements, it will be interesting to say the least how this musical develops.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 19 December, 2007, Blogger Esther said...

I love Tina! I've never seen her perform live, but it sounds like she puts on a fantastic show! I'm just wondering who would play her in a musical and if they could really do her justice. (Although I did love Angela Bassett in the movie).

 
At 19 December, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

When I saw Tina Turner perform live on stage during her huge comeback in 1985, I thought to myself "My God, can that lady ever move for someone who's in her 40s!"

Then when I saw her at the beginning of this decade, I thought "I can't believe how this lady can move for someone in her 60s."

She never ceases to amaze. Now, if only her bio-musical can live up to her remarkable life.

 
At 20 December, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's hope Tina takes out the Egpytian elements from the stage show...Who does she think she is? Shirley Maclaine???

 
At 31 December, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Well, we'll see whether those elements stay in...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner