Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Spelling Bee To C-L-O-S-E

Spelling Bee To C-L-O-S-E

The final curtain will fall on the wonderful Broadway hit musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee come January 20, 2008. Closing notices for the little tuner that could were announced today.

The recent box office hasn't been too shabby. Last week, it still attracted a capacity of 68.8% for a total gross of $198,558 -- and it has long since recouped its original investment.

After opening at the intimate Circle in the Square Theatre on May 2, 2005, Spelling Bee earned six 2006 Tony nods and won two: for Dan Fogler's work as William Barfee (Best Featured Actor in a Musical) and Rachel Sheinkin's truly delightful book. It was just this past September 23 that the musical achieved that monumental feat of 1,000 performances.

When The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee closes, it will have enjoyed 1,136 regular performances.

I really loved this wonderfully imaginative show. Call me S-A-D.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
SOB's Best Of 2006-07: Best New Musicals (May 22, 2007)
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (The SOB Review) (June 16, 2006)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 08 November, 2007, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

I a-m s-a-d t-o-o. Too bad it's not still running at 2nd Stage - it might have been there for years a la The Fantastiks.

 
At 08 November, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Glad to know I'm not alone. Such a fun little show.

 
At 08 November, 2007, Blogger Esther said...

While I won't get a chance to see it on Broadway, I am going to see it on tour in a couple weeks, and I'm pretty excited! I'm kind of sorry I won't be seeing it on Broadway. I got the impression that Circle in the Square was an intimate little theater and I'll be seeing it in a place with 3,000 plus seats.

 
At 08 November, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to see it in a theatre that large. It's such an intimate little show - I'd be afraid it would get lost inside the theatre.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner