Tuesday, October 30, 2007

An August Work

An August Work

This evening, previews begin at the Imperial Theatre for one of the year's most anticipated Broadway arrivals, Tracy Letts' August: Osage County.

And the transfer from Chicago's Steppenwolf now has a little wind beneath its wings as it won six major awards including Best Production and Best New Work at last evening's Joseph Jefferson Awards -- the Windy City equivalent to Tonys.

I've raved about this excellent new play and believe it will not only be a contender come Tony time, but deserves a Pulitzer Prize nomination. It's that caliber.

During last night awards ceremonies, the show also was honored for Best Director Anna D. Shapiro, Best Ensemble, Best Actress Deanna Dunagan (who really has to be seen to be believed -- she's that amazing), and Best Scenic Design (Todd Rosenthal for his three-story set).

If you haven't already purchased tickets, do so now for this 16 week limited engagement.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Steppenwolf Letts "Juicy" August Move Forward (September 15, 2007)
This October, Letts' "August" Begins On Broadway (August 22, 2007)
August: Osage County (The SOB Review) (August 19, 2007)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 30 October, 2007, Blogger Esther said...

I've got my ticket! I'm really excited about seeing this on Friday, not just because you and so many others have raved about it, or because I like dramas about dysfunctional families, but because it's my first time seeing a Steppenwolf production, and it's such a celebrated theatre company, with such a great roster of alumni.

 
At 30 October, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I'm hope my buildup doesn't result in a letdown. I believe that this is the single most important new American work I've seen in the last five years.

 
At 01 November, 2007, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

DO IT! GO SEE! DON'T MISS! OR ELSE! I don't even think it's a drama about a dysfunctional family. IT'S SO MUCH MORE! SOOOO MUCH MORE!

And SOB is right: "[I]t will not only be a contender come Tony time, but deserves a Pulitzer Prize nomination."

 
At 01 November, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Sarah, I'm thrilled, thrilled, thrilled that you share my enthusiasm. This is a must-see play.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner