Tuesday, September 18, 2007

40 Rocks From The Radiant Kristen Johnston

40 Rocks From The Radiant Kristen Johnston

Hard as it is to believe, in just a couple days, the eternally effervescent Kristen Johnston will turn 40.

Johnston is one of those grossly underappreciated award-winning actresses who has chosen to remain very grounded. While I'm betting she could easily have another hit sitcom if she so chose, she's professed in a terrific Broadway.com interview to having purposely downsized her career by hanging a left toward Off-Broadway in recent years.

I catch her performances anytime I can. Loved her turn as the former "it" party girl Lexi Featherston in the "Splat!" episode of "Sex And The City." Loved her in the 2001 Broadway revival of The Women. Loved her in the more recent Off-Broadway revival of Aunt Dan And Lemon. And loved her yet again in the even more recent Off-Broadway revival of The Baltimore Waltz.

While I'm bummed I didn't make it to London to see her short-lived stint as Joan in John Kolvenbach's Love Song, I'm hoping to love her again in her new Off-Broadway limited run outing of Scarcity.

Two interesting things you may not know about this electrifying actress are that (a) off stage, the 6 feet tall actress is even more gorgeous and softer in appearance than you'd think (I met her briefly immediately following a performance of The Women), and (b) she's the daughter of former Republican State Senator Rod Johnston of suburban Milwaukee -- one of the most decent, moderate politicians I've ever had the honor of knowing (given my regard for Ms. Johnston, I suspect he must have been an outstanding father, too).

Happy birthday, Kristen Johnston!

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Cick here for Scarcity tickets.
Related Stories:
New Duet Partner For McKean In London's Love Song (December 14, 2007)
Was Love Song Music To London Critics' Ears? (December 5, 2006)
Next Stanza: Love Song Opens In London (November 4, 2006)
Kolvenbach's Love Song To Sing In London (October 13, 2006)
Flashback: Best of 2004-05 (May 26, 2006)
Flashback: Best of 2001-02 (May 24, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 19 September, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Kristen Johnston does have some very interesting things to say about working in New York versus L.A., Broadway versus off-Broadway. I think what she said about people being able take more chances off-Broadway is probably true. I've been looking through the list of upcoming off-Broadway plays and there's definitely a lot I'd love to see.

I have to admit, I'd never heard of Ms. Johnston before. I guess I've probably seen her in movies and never realized who she was. I'm just starting my "Sex and the City" marathon, so I probably have quite a ways to go before I get to her part. And I certainly join you in wishing her a very happy birthday!

 
At 19 September, 2007, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

I caught her in the Public's Much Ado About Nothing. She was absolutely wonderful and charming. I see her at shows sometimes and I always tell myself to go see her more often, but somehow I don't get around to it. That's going to change.

 
At 19 September, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther - Can't believe you're not familiar with Kristen Johnston, but glad I was able to make you aware of her. Her "Sex And The City" appearance doesn't come until the third or fourth to the last episode of the entire series, but she makes quite a splash.

Sarah - Glad you agree with my assessment. I completely forgot about the Much Ado About Nothing, but given what I've previously said about Shakespeare, it's probably no surprise that I didn't take that show in....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner