From where I'm currently sitting in Beijing, China, we're now about fourteen hours from Tony time when the annual awards celebrating the best of Broadway are bestowed to all of those who made the 2006-07 Theatrical Season one I'll long remember.
While tonight's ceremony at Radio City Music Hall is devoid of a host, you can bet the stars will shine this evening, particularly on the array of production numbers from some of the year's top musicals. Among the highlights:
- 110 In The Shade's Tony-nominated Audra McDonald will perform "Raunchy."
- A Chorus Line's troupe will perform "One."
- Company's Raúl Esparza will perform his gorgeous "Being Alive."
- Curtain's cast will perform "Show People," my personal favorite from the show.
- Grey Garden's Tony-nominated (and probable lock on Best Actress in a Musical) Christine Ebersole will perform "The Revolutionary Costume For Today."
- Mary Poppins' cast will perform a medley of "Step In Time" with "Anything Can Happen."
- Spring Awakening's cast will perform a medley of tunes from the show.
While I'd love to say that I'll be live blogging throughout the awards, I'll actually be boarding my flight from Beijing to Tokyo right about the time the first honors are handed out. But I plan to report on the awards with a complete wrap-up shortly after touching down at Tokyo's Narita Airport while I connect for my flight home.
The Tony Awards will be broadcast at 8 pm EDT on CBS. Check local listings.
This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).