Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Pirate Queen Set To Abdicate Hilton Throne

Pirate Queen Set To Abdicate Hilton Throne

Ever since being completely shut out of this year's Tony race, the vultures have been hovering over Broadway's Hilton Theatre anticipating that The Pirate Queen would close. The deal seemed sealed when Mel Brooks confirmed that his latest Great White Way venture -- Young Frankenstein -- would occupy the large capacity venue.

Now it's official: Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg's The Pirate Queen, perhaps the most expensive Broadway musical ever, will shutter on June 17 after just 85 performances. Capacity for the tuner dropped to a fragile 54.5% last week for box office earnings of $442,000.

You may recall that I found the show -- during its Chicago tryout -- to be among the worst shows I saw during the 2006-07 Theatrical Season. Now I already have my tickets to catch the Seattle tryout of its replacement in just two months -- yes, they're already on sale. My expectations on the Hilton's new occupant are running considerably higher.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for The Pirate Queen tickets.
Click here for Young Frankenstein tickets (Seattle).

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 06 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've become addicted to your blog, and I can't wait to read your review of Young Frankenstein. One of my musical nights in NY is hinging on it! We have one free night in October, and I personally want to see Grey Gardens but my travel partner wants to see Young Frankenstein if it's in previews. Which I won't mind so much, as long as it gets decent reviews. But I'd still much rather see Grey Gardens (with or without Christine).

 
At 06 June, 2007, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

"But I don't want to be a pirate!" - Jerry Seinfeld. Well, I think it was a good idea but people are just about to be pirated out. Oh well.

 
At 06 June, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Dear Anonymous, I'm very flattered that you're making SOB a habit! Feel free to comment as often as you like!

Hope you're able to do all you can to see Christine Ebersole in Grey Gardens - she'll take your breath away.

 
At 06 June, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Sarah - You're right. Good idea. Bad execution. Argggh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner