Monday, May 14, 2007

SOB's Best & Worst Of 2006-07 Theatre Season

SOB's Best & Worst Of 2006-07 Theatre Season

While Broadway's 2006-07 theatre season technically ended last week with the opening of 110 In The Shade, tomorrow's much-anticipated Tony Award nominations ostensibly keep the season alive. And the stunning June 10 climax of who'll take home the American Theatre Wing's Tony Awards medallions -- named for actress, director and producer Antoinette Perry -- really provides the appropriate capper for an equally stunning year in theatre.

As I noted a year ago Saturday, shortly after beginning Steve On Broadway (SOB), I’ve never known exactly why theatre seasons throughout the United States typically end in late spring/early summer, although it may have something to do with the American propensity for finally getting outside to enjoy the warmer summer months than be cooped up in some theatre.

But whatever the reason, as this current season winds down and major productions for the upcoming year are being announced, it gives writers like me the opportunity to talk about the past year in review. And just as I offered my SOB's Best & Worst of 2005-06, today marks the day that I'm launching my annual rundown of the shows and performances I enjoyed the most -- not just on Broadway, but throughout my travels stretching from Sydney to London.

During the 2006-07 Theatrical Season, I’ve had an opportunity to see 77 productions. Not only did I see plays and musicals on Broadway, as well as in the aforementioned Sydney and London, but there were stops along the way in such places as Chicago, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, San Diego, Washington DC and Westport CT.

Since my theatregoing ways have more to do with selecting shows that I think I'll actually like than simply seeing everything, I'm pleased to note that I enjoyed most of what I saw. And even if there were some that I notoriously panned, I always tried to find at least something positive to say about them.

In the run-up to the 2007 Tony Awards, I’ll be writing about my choices for the best and worst of the season, not just from New York, but from wherever my travels took me. Whether or not you agree, I cordially invite you to offer your feedback on each selection and tell me why you wholeheartedly agree or think I'm all wet.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Related Stories:
SOB's Best and Worst of 2005-06 Theatre Season (May 12, 2006)
Flashback: Best of 2004-05 (May 26, 2006)
Flashback: Best of 2003-04 (May 25, 2006)
Flashback: Best of 2002-03 (May 25, 2006)
Flashback: Best of 2001-02 (May 24, 2006)
Flashback: Best of 2000-01 (May 23, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner