Thursday, March 22, 2007

Grease: The Ones That I Want

Grease: The Ones That I Want

OK, so the television show that's about to select Broadway's new Grease stars -- Sandy and Danny -- was not quite the electrifying experience I had hoped for. But I did find myself tuning in whenever I happened to be home.

And when I did tune in, I found myself rooting for the underdogs. I must not have been alone. Max Crumm and Laura Osnes have transformed themselves from longshots into finalists.

Sure, Austin Miller is a great entertainer. His status as a veteran musical actor has been unquestioned from the start of the show. Indeed, he played the romantic lead role of Link in the original touring production of Hairspray; when I saw the show, I was struck by his terrific on-stage presence. Yet his sparkle never quite translated through television.

And sure, Ashley Spencer possesses that certain Meg Ryan girl-next-door look. She even has pretty decent pipes on her.

But my votes go to Max and Laura.

Simply put, Max looks and sounds like Danny Zuko. Plus he's age appropriate. I think he's the reality show's ultimate find and has the greatest potential for moving viewers to actually buying tickets to see Kathleen Marshall's stage production.

As for Laura, she may not have Ashley's blonde mane, but she more than makes up for it in charm and innocence that her competitor just can't touch. Maybe it's the fact that she's not from LA. To me, Laura epitomizes Sandy.

Now, I realize that all this is a moot point for many of you. According to my recent SOB Poll, 38.2% of you either refused to watch any of "Grease: You're The One That I Want" or it simply wasn't of any interest to you in the first place.

But to the 55.9% of you who either watch the program regularly or at least on occasion, as well as the additional 5.9% of you who said you'd finally succumb to watching when it came down to the final four, I'll be interested in hearing whether your picks match mine. And more importantly, do you see yourself buying a ticket to the revival that opens this summer?

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Apparently Grease Is The Word At Ticketmaster (January 9, 2007)
Sandy And Danny: Who Are The Ones You Want? (January 6, 2007)
The Sound Of Praise (November 16, 2006)
It's A Reality: The Sound Of Music Revival Comes Alive In London Tonight (November 15, 2006)
I've Got Chills, They're Multiplying: NBC Reality Show to Cast Grease (August 8, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner