Monday, February 19, 2007

The Little Dog Left

The Little Dog Left

Yesterday marked the final Broadway performance for The Little Dog Laughed. After slogging through middling reviews and less than 50% capacity crowds through most of its run, the comedy by Douglas Carter Beane has finally been put to rest after just 112 regular performances.

What's particularly stunning is that there are no other new plays by American playwrights currently running on the Great White Way, unless you happen to count Eric Bogosian's Talk Radio, which was written in the 1987, but never produced on Broadway until now. Undoubtedly, Tony voters will label Talk Radio a revival.

Even though I didn't find The Little Dog Laughed nearly as satisfying as I had hoped it'd be, I trust that come Tony time, the exhilarating tour de force performance by Julie White will still be remembered. And that's no laughing matter.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 19 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize that Talk Radio had never been produced on Broadway. I saw the movie years ago, and I knew it was written as a play, so I just assumed it had been on Broadway. Same thing with Driving Miss Daisy. I didn't know it had only been done off-Broadway until I read your account of the conversation with Alfred Uhry at the Guthrie Theater. That surprised me even more than Talk Radio.

It's interesting to look at two British imports, The Vertical Hour and the upcoming Frost/Nixon, both of which deal with subjects that should be of interest to American playwrights and audiences. Both of them could easily have been tackled by American playwrights, yet they weren't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner