Thursday, February 22, 2007

Gone With The Wind The Musical?

Gone With The Wind The Musical?

According to Fox News, Gone With The Wind is now destined to become a Broadway musical by way of London. According to the story, Hugh Jackman is being eyed for Rhett Butler. The story will more closely follow the novel by Margaret Mitchell meaning it will be darker than the 1939 flick.

Before I say "Frankly my dears I don't give a damn," I'll have to learn more before casting aspersions on the move. More to come later!

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 23 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite my love for Hugh Jackman, I have a bad feeling about this idea. I think we should just give Gone With the Wind a rest. It deals in demeaning racial stereotypes and presents a sanitized view of slavery. And adding music isn't going to change that.

 
At 23 February, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, According to that same report, "the story (will be) told through the eyes of the slaves at Tara. 'If you remember, Scarlett is really left with the slaves, and they become her family,' a production insider says. 'That will be more of the emphasis of the story, with Rhett more of a darker, more complicated character.'"

That could make the show more relevant to a 2007 audience. We shall see. And while I normally don't like seeing every single film mined for musical theatre, something in this piques my interest. We shall see.

 
At 01 March, 2007, Blogger Mondschein said...

Wasn't this concept the subplot in a really bad movie with Shelley Long, Ryan O'Neal, Sharon Stone and Drew Barrymore?

Can't say I'm excited about this prospect.

 
At 01 March, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Mondschein,

You're thinking of 1984's "Irreconcilable Differences," which indeed featured a doomed musical version of "Gone With The Wind." If the real attempt fails, I can picture the reviews now: "It Blows!" (Apologies to Rocco).

Cheers!

Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner