Friday, January 12, 2007

Revisiting Chicago

Revisiting Chicago


Tomorrow, I'm making a trip back to Chicago. Not the city, mind you, but the longest-running current Broadway revival.

While I've certainly enjoyed the film version over and over, including quite recently, I haven't seen the musical live since 1998.

Now I know I've been somewhat harsh on the production over the past year, particularly as they've resorted to stunt-casting. Though some of their choices have been inspired, many simply have not reflected well on a show that in my humble estimation deserves nothing but the best.

Fortunately for the tuner, they now have it once again in Bebe Neuwirth, who has rejoined the production through March 25. I'm revisiting Chicago precisely to experience its glory-day razzle dazzle now that she's returned. Of course, what's truly inspired about her return is that she's now portraying the other merry murderess, Roxie Hart. Neuwirth took home a Tony for her take on Velma Kelly back in 1997.

Neuwirth will be joined by Chicago veteran Brenda Braxton as Velma Kelly, Rob Bartlett as Amos Hart, Roz Ryan as "Mama" Morton, R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine and Philip Casnoff assuming the role of Billy Flynn from Huey Lewis (Lewis had been scheduled to depart the production on Sunday, but it appears that Casnoff starting his gig two days early).

With musical pros like Neuwirth and Braxton back in the saddle, the show just has to be good. But you can bet I'll provide you with my recap once the curtain falls!

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Happy Birthday, Chicago! (November 14, 2006)
Usher Out (October 12, 2006)
Will Usher Razzle Dazzle 'em? (August 22, 2006)
We Had It Coming: Chicago's Starry 10th Anniversary (July 26, 2006)
Chicago to Usher in New Billy Flynn (July 14, 2006)

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12 January, 2007, Blogger Isn't it rich...? said...

What fun. Hope you have a great time. Seeing anything else while you are in town? GG? Company? Enjoy 'da big city!

 
At 16 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Steve. Welcome back from your world tour. When I was in NYC last, I saw the sign outside of Chicago proclaiming it "the longest running revival on Broadway." Wait, I thought: isn't that Oh Calcutta? But then I realized that they meant the longest-running revival *currently* on Broadway. Enjoy NYC. --cc

 
At 16 January, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

CC, You are correct. Oh! Calcutta! is the longest-running Broadway revival with 5,959 regular performances stretching from its opening night on September 24, 1976 through August 6, 1989.

Comparatively speaking, Chicago has only enjoyed 4,235 performances (including tonight) during its 10 year run.

I regret my error. Thanks for the correction!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner