Monday, January 22, 2007

Being Bebe

Being Bebe

A week ago, I shared the details of my exciting revisit to Chicago with beautiful Bebe Neuwirth back on Broadway as Roxie Hart.

Now, Broadway.com today has a wonderful interview in which Neuwirth not only discusses how her return to this wonderful revival came to pass (it was at her own suggestion), but also how she considers herself more of a dancer than an actor.

What makes the piece all the more compelling is that Neuwirth discusses the impact of her recently completed hip surgery on her dancing -- certainly far from the easiest thing for a dancer to endure. To be honest, I'm glad I didn't know about her travails going into my performance a couple Saturdays ago, because then I would have been completely fixated on whether she was changing a step merely to compensate. But as it was, I can tell you that I was absolutely riveted by her breathtaking bravura performance, which showed no sign of weakness whatsoever.

Neuwirth's continued enthusiasm for live performances not only shines through when seeing her perform, but also in the Broadway.com interview. When asked what makes live theatre so "meaningful," the Great White Way's current Roxie Hart states:

That exchange of energy with an audience is quite satisfying. I also believe that theatre is a sort of primal need. It's the contemporary version of gathering around a fire with your tribe and telling stories; every person present is part of the communal event. That said, I don't think that I'm a ham. I don't thrive on audience response. It's not a question of showing off—performing is more of a spiritual event for me.
Amen, Bebe! So in that spirit, I once again strongly and enthusiastically urge readers to see Chicago with Bebe Neuwirth while you can!

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Chicago (The SOB Revisit) - Ambassador Theatre, New York, NY (January 16, 2007)
Revisiting Chicago (January 12, 2007)
Happy Birthday, Chicago! (November 14, 2006)
Bebe's Back to Broadway! (September 6, 2006)
We Had It Coming: Chicago's Starry 10th Anniversary (July 26, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner