Saturday, December 30, 2006

Honorable Mentions: SOB's Singular Sensations Of '06

Honorable Mentions: SOB's Singular Sensations Of '06

Over the course of 2006, I’ve been enormously blessed to see well over fifty varying stage productions of all types, ranging from sublime musicals to poignant dramas to endearing comedies. Through it all, I’ve been awed by the astounding caliber of the talent in so many shows, including from those who often soar high above the material itself.

While I’ve been singling out SOB’s 6 Singular Sensations of ’06, please allow me to add to that my special honor roll of outstanding performances from the past year that simply took my breath away. Although they just missed making my top six for 2006, they’re achievements that will remain indelibly etched in my consciousness.

They include:

Christine Baranski in Mame
Samuel Barnett in The History Boys
Stephanie J. Block in The Pirate Queen
Entire Cast of [title of show]
Ralph Fiennes in The Faith Healer
Jay Goede in The Real Thing
Richard Griffiths in The History Boys
Zoe Kazan in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie
Michael Longoria (as Frankie Valli) in Jersey Boys
Ian McDiarmid in The Faith Healer
Tracy Letts in The Well Appointed Room
Amy Morton in The Unmentionables and The Well Appointed Room
David Hyde Pierce in Curtains
Paul Rudd in Three Days Of Rain

With the addition of these fourteen -- OK, it’s actually seventeen if you count all four cast members of [title of show] -- I’ve singled out twenty consummate performances that were singularly sensational. Each of these performers has my utmost respect and appreciation, and I can’t wait to see them perform yet again.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner