Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Eve of a New Broadway Role for Kristin Chenoweth


Eve of a New Broadway Role for Kristin Chenoweth

It's been nearly three years since Tony Award-winning actress Kristin Chenoweth last opened in a Broadway show, but what a role that was! Chenoweth floated into our hearts -- via bubble -- as Glinda in the musical juggernaut known as Wicked.

Now comes news that Chenoweth will be headlining the very first Great White Way revival of The Apple Tree as Eve (as in Adam and...). Gary Griffin (The Color Purple) will direct the Roundabout Theatre Company musical, which will make its bow at Studio 54 beginning November 28 with a December 14 opening.

This won't be Chenoweth's first crack at Eve -- she took on the role via City Center's "Encores! Great American Musicals in Concert" with co-stars Michael Cerveris and Malcolm Gets. No word yet on who whether either will reprise their roles for the new production.

The Jerry Bock/Sheldon Harnick tuner last graced a Broadway stage during its 463 performance run at the Shubert Theatre from October, 1966-November 1967. That production received seven Tony nominations and landed Barbara Harris a Tony for the role Chenoweth will assume.

Will it work the same magic for Broadway's favorite bubbly blond? I'm not sure, but you can bet I'll do my best to be in the audience for this one.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 14 September, 2006, Blogger StephenMosher said...

I rarely get to take the time to comment (usually I go back and do ALL my commenting in one fell swoop during a bout of insomnia) but I have to say that THIS made me so happy!! Thank you for starting (well not really STARTING, as I have been up for four hours) my day with a smile.

I owe you a care package, several comments and God only knows what else. What I offer you, today, instead is my respect and friendship. The others will follow when I have a moment to breathe.

I so admire you for writing something (almost) every day. You're so dilligent!

Wish I were...

Cheers
ste

 
At 14 September, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thanks so much Ste -- appreciate all the kind words. This news made me smile as well, but I was a bit surprised that I had run with it before it was posted on Playbill.com. Now I see it's there as well.

Keep your comments coming -- and be sure to tell me when I'm all wet!

 
At 14 September, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

By the way, I should have noted that I was tipped off to the confirmation on Chenoweth by a friend on the West Coast. Thank you, Michael!

 
At 14 September, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

You can bet that I'll report on which actors are announced for The Apple Tree!

 
At 16 September, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

Kristin Chenoweth as Glenda, Kristin Chenoweth as Eve everybody always forgets about her playing Sally from a Good Mam Charlie Brown. She was the shining star at the tony's that year

 
At 16 September, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thanks Michael. I alluded to her Tony win, but should have specified that it came from her role in "You're A Good Man Charlie Brown" alongside Anthony Rapp (Charlie Brown), B.D.Wong (Linus), Ilana Levin (Lucy) and Roger Bart (Snoopy), who also won a Tony.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner