Thursday, July 13, 2006

Walken Away from Public Courage

Walken Away from Public Courage

Due to scheduling conflicts, Christopher Walken will not play opposite Meryl Streep as originally announced in The Public Theater's upcoming Shakespeare in the Park performances of Mother Courage And Her Children. Instead, Kevin Kline will take Walken's place in Bertolt Brecht's tragic play that has been reimagined by Tony Kushner (Angels in America). Performances begin August 8 with an August 21 opening.

Mother Courage And Her Children reunites Streep and Kline who previously performed in the 2001 Shakespeare in the Park revival of The Seagull. Streep and Kline have also been seen on the silver screen in such films as "Sophie's Choice" and the recent "Prairie Home Companion." Kline will also return to The Public this fall to perform in the James Lapine-helmed King Lear.

Tickets for all Shakespeare in the Park offerings are free. Tickets must be picked up on the day of the performance beginning at 1 pm at The Delacorte Theater in Central Park, or from 1 to 3 pm at The Public Theater at 425 Lafayette Street, just south of Astor Place. There is a limit of 2 tickets per person.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for more ticket information.
Related Stories:
Public Theater's 2006 Shakespeare in the Park Officially Starts (June 30, 2006)
The Public Theater at 50 (June 5, 2006)

2 Comments:

At 22 July, 2006, Blogger StephenMosher said...

Love the Streep--saw her in THE SEAGULL and will remember it until the day I die.

But I hate outdoor theater and have to pass on this one...

Irritating point: Christopher Walken is one of my favourite actors. When I went to see THE DEAD, he was out. Now he left this. I don't think I will ever get to see him live.

Though I did pass him on the street once.

I couldn't breathe...

 
At 22 July, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Breathe, Ste, breathe!!

I'm set to see this show in late August. I loved Streep in "Theater of the New Ear" last year, and was pleasantly surprised when Kevin Kline was announced as Walken's replacement. But I'm also looking forward to seeing Austin Pendleton and Jack Noseworthy.

I'm with you on outdoor theater, particularly since I'll be sneezing my way through the show thanks to hayfever season!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner