Thursday, May 10, 2007

Linda Eder: This Time Around (The SOB Review)

Linda Eder: This Time Around (The SOB Review) - Feinstein's at the Regency, New York, NY

**1/2

I realize it was late.

Very late...

Around 11:50 pm to be precise when the lovely Linda Eder finally took to the stage at the estimable Feinstein's at the Regency last Saturday night. It was the second of two shows that evening -- I can only wistfully wonder how spectacular the 8:30 pm show was; after all, it let out at about 10:30.

Such was not the case with the scheduled 11 pm performance. While Linda Eder: This Time Around provided some genuinely fun and entertaining moments, they didn't last long at all. In fact, Linda Eder's cabaret performance barely clocked in at one hour (there's a magnificent clock on the wall to the right of the stage). Unfortunately, the golden-throated voice for which she's known -- including her customary awe-inspiring vocal gymnastics -- was barely hitting the high bars last Saturday.

Eder herself confessed that she was tired and that her voice has suffered. She shared tidbits of her rigorous schedule caring for her 7 year old and the challenges it poses to such performances. And since her audience was packed with adoring devotees, she was easily forgiven if her usual spellbinding song stylings were a tad bit underwhelming.

Included in her repertoire were tunes from her recent Judy Garland tribute album, her show's title song, a rousing rendition of "Bring On The Men," and a gorgeous version of "On The Street Where You Live." But she had barely begun when Feinstein's waiters were already handing out checks for the $40 per person food and drink minimum (in addition to the $80 tickets) to close out the evening.

As much as I can't get enough of Eder's voice when it's in top shape, my advice for anyone wishing to see this talented performer via this gig is simple: make sure you're seeing the early evening shows so as not to be disappointed.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for ticket reservation information.
Related Stories:
At Long Last, Is Linda Eder Finally Broadway-Bound Once More? (July 21, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11 May, 2007, Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

So interesting!!!! While I admire her recorded voice,the only REALLY unsatisfactory ("big") theatrical experience I have had was seeing her live, in Jeckle and Hyde.
I have a SUPER busy schedule with a 10 yr old AND a 4 yr old,my hub was traveling 90% while I was doing Hair,I never had a tired performance,ofcourse I was playing Jeanie!!,but ,ya know,some things...ya just don't make excuses for!

 
At 12 May, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Very interesting comment.

I've seen Miss Eder perform live four times now (yes, I'm that big of a fan). Each of the preceding three performances was pitch perfect. I guess I have to take her at her word about being tired, but it certainly didn't make me feel good about the prices I was paying.

 
At 28 July, 2007, Blogger buddyindc1 said...

I was also at the same later performance and was a little underwhelmed. A STAR shouldn't make excuses. one has to perform their best and make everyone assume it is their best. I have seen her twice and was disappointed both times that she doesn't perform "Someone like You" I thought that was something of a signature song for her.

 
At 30 July, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Well, of course, she at least showed up, right?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner