Sunday, October 22, 2006

Harm-lessly Funny

Harm-lessly Funny

As promised, I just wanted to update you on the entertainment to date on the Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas. We're docked today in beautiful Portland, Maine after sailing from Boston last evening.

Instead of the full-blown entertainment treatment promised on the cruise lines' Web site (that apparently is coming later in the cruise), last evening's on-stage performance came in the form of Florida-based comedian Jeff Harms. To be honest, I had never heard of him before, but this white-haired version of Alec Baldwin provided a half hour of pretty decent humor.

Now, I'm no connoisseur of stand-up comedy, but I've always thought that it took a great deal more talent to make an audience laugh with thoughtful observations from life than going for the easy laugh by catering to the lowest common denominator with raunchy, vulgar humor. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate occasionally going in the gutter, but it does take a greater imagination to come up with something truly fresh. Harms certainly accomplished just that, even in the way he dealt with a near heckler situation early on. Much of his humor was based on observations he made on everyday life (like his riff on junk drawers in the kitchen) to how kids today are much the same as they ever were.

Since this wasn't a full-blown production along the scales that I had anticipated, I'm not providing my typical full-scale review. But I will say that I found Jeff Harms' act to be harmlessly funny, and that's a nice start for this voyage.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Related Stories:
Going To Sea Theatre (October 21, 2006)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 22 October, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

Steve,Is Martin Short still on Broadway-Mike

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Mike,

Yes, Martin Short's Fame Becomes Me is still playing on Broadway.

Steve

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

Good, the songs alone make it worth seeing.

 
At 23 October, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Michael,

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, I still haven't had the opportunity to see the show, but I have heard great (and surprising) things from friends who have.

Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner