Tuesday, July 06, 2010

What's My Line? Gypsy

What's My Line? Gypsy

By now, dear readers, you surely know that Gypsy ranks as my all-time favorite musical.

Imagine my delight in stumbling upon this nugget from 1959's "What's My Line?" as Gypsy Rose Lee herself -- a Broadway performer in her own right -- appears as the "mystery guest" just days after the original production opened on the Great White Way with Ethel Merman.

Miss Lee explains, "When you've lost all your marbles, you're a stripteaser!"

The show's venerable moderator John Charles Daly (who also served as ABC News' anchor at the same time) explains how Gypsy "threatens to outdo even My Fair Lady." In my humble estimation some 51 years later, it has done managed that and more.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 06 July, 2010, Anonymous Jefferson said...

I LOVE how she "strips" off her gloves at the begining of this, then coyly twirls them around. A very funny nod to her profession.

 
At 08 July, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember seeing Miss Lee on THE HOLLYWOOD SQUARES. What a hoot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner