Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Time Hardly Stands Still For Alicia Silverstone

Time Hardly Stands Still For Alicia Silverstone

Alicia Silverstone, the Golden Globe and Emmy-nominated actress known primarily for her film work ("Clueless"), recently concluded her much-praised sophomore effort on Broadway as part of the acclaimed production of Time Stands Still. It was such a marked departure from her 2002 performance in The Graduate -- which, for the record, I actually enjoyed -- that there's even talk in some circles about Ms. Silverstone's chances for a Tony nomination, although we never broached that possibility with her.

Last Friday, I joined with fellow theatre bloggers Patrick Lee (Just Shows To Go You) and Kevin Daly (Theatre Aficionado At Large) by way of the Independent Theater Bloggers Association (ITBA) in a half hour telephone conversation with Ms. Silverstone. I asked her, "What did you take away from your Broadway debut that has informed your stage work since?"

Alicia Silverstone replied:

I had only done one play before that (Carol's Eve, 1993).

(In The Graduate) I learned a lot from Kathleen Turner, who is awesome. She came to see me in Time Stands Still and was so proud of me.

She took me under her wing and treated me with so much respect from the moment we started working on The Graduate. I remember when we were in Baltimore, before we came to Broadway, and after the first night she said to me, “That was really good, darling, but tomorrow maybe you will have your voice down about four notches.” I was screaming. I guess I was so excited and nervous that my voice got very high.

After originating the role of Time Stands Still's Mandy Bloom last year at Los Angeles' Geffen Playhouse, Ms. Silverstone was the only prinicipal to stay with the play through Broadway. Nevertheless, she said of the latter experience, "I came humbly to the rehearsal room. It was so electrifying that I didn't want to leave (even) to go to the bathroom. Laura Linney became like a big sister to me."

Telling us, "Theatre people are the best," it's no wonder this actress with an infectiously sunny disposition is already contemplating her next stage outing. Although currently filming "Butter" with Hugh Jackman, Rob Corddry and Jennifer Garner, Ms. Silverstone somewhat wistfully told us her dream would be to do a production of Romeo And Juliet. But she said that after seeing Janet McTeer perform in A Doll's House, she'd really love a chance to tackle the role of Norma Helmer.

Just don't expect her to do a musical any time soon; she says, "I'm not a trained singer. I'm interested in it but I've never practiced singing."

To read another take on our interview, please visit Just Shows To Go You.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).


In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 27 April, 2010, Blogger Esther said...

Nice write-up of your first thespian interview, SOB. Succinct and informative. The Graduate is one of my top three movies and reading this makes me wish I'd seen the stage version!

 
At 29 April, 2010, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thanks Esther. It was such a pleasure chatting with Alicia Silverstone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner