Thursday, June 11, 2009

Reasons To Close

Reasons To Close

It took less than 24 hours after going home empty-handed at Sunday's Tony Awards, but Neil LaBute's Tony-nominated reasons to be pretty posted its closing notice on Monday. The play, which was produced earlier by Off-Broadway's MCC, will shutter Sunday after just 85 performances on Broadway.

I rather liked this little play and am sorry to see it go. Terry Kinney offered taut direction to Thomas Sadoski, Marin Ireland, Steven Pasquale and Piper Perabo, who were all first rate.

But reasons to be pretty never really caught on with Great White Way audiences as it hovered around the 50% capacity mark. In a week when its Tony nomination should have mattered with the public, its capacity actually dropped last week to just 47.4%.

While an award could have helped it attract more theatregoers, producers pulled the plug seeming to feel that with a lack of major names, it was lost in the flurry of openings this spring.

That alone give me more than enough reasons to be a little sad.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11 June, 2009, Blogger Esther said...

I definitely agree with you. As you know from my review, I was very reluctant to see reasons to be pretty but I'm so glad I did.

I thought the cast was terrific and the dialog and situations seemed very real. Thomas Sadoski was wonderful as a twentysomething, working-clas guy who grows and finds out what's truly important over the course of the play.

I'm sad it didn't catch on. I mentioned to the two young women sitting next to me that I'd been reluctant to see it and they agreed. But within minutes we were laughing hysterically!

 
At 12 June, 2009, Blogger Vance said...

Actually, telecharge stopped selling tickets past June 14th weeks ago. So I think they knew. Annoying cause I originally planned to go see it June 15th.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner