Tuesday, April 08, 2008
This evening, the celebrated Rupert Goold-helmed revival of William Shakespeare's Macbeth opens for a very limited engagement at Broadway's Lyceum Theatre.
Starring Patrick Stewart as the eponymous Scottish general, this is a play that instills so much legendary fear among theatregoers (correction: casts and crews - my apologies)theatregoers that the name Macbeth is rarely uttered inside the theatre. Instead, just call it "The Scottish Play."
With previous New York performances dating all the way back to the 1700s, this London transfer is the 45th incarnation of the notorious work.
Will critics swoon? Find out tomorrow when I provide my critics' capsule.
This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).
Click here for tickets.
Life is a stage. Act appropriately. - steve on broadway (sob)
SOB's Current Headlines
- An August Award
- Today's The Day ... Or Maybe Not
- Don't Quit Your Night Job (The SOB Overview)
- Euan Morton: Here And Now (The SOB Review)
- Wholly Happy Talk! South Pacific Turns Into Open-E...
- Did Critics Think There Is Nothing Like South Paci...
- [title of show] To Headline Broadway
- South Pacific (The SOB Review)
- Gypsy (The SOB Review)
- South Pacific: Some Enchanted Opening Night
The SOB Poll
Current Broadway Shows
Broadway's 2010-11 Theatrical Season
- Name: Steve On Broadway (SOB)
- Location: United States
As someone who has been involved in both politics and public relations, it's no wonder I love watching theatre. Good or bad, it's the raw energy of seeing a live performance that gets my adrenaline pumping. From the moment I saw my very first Broadway show ("Annie" in London in 1979), I was hooked. Now I see as many as 70 shows each year ranging from soaring musicals to two-hander plays. And these eyes just may be in an audience near you!
Subscribe to SOB
Follow SOB on Twitter
Follow SOB on Facebook
Real-Live Bloggers SOB Knows Personally
Other Blogs SOB Reads
One Blog Read That Can Positively Change Lives
SOB's Favorite Theatre Sites
- American Theatre Wing
- American Theatre Wing's Tony Awards
- Live Broadway
- Internet Broadway Database
- Broadway TV
- Broadway Across America
- Society of London Theatre's Laurence Olivier Awards
- London's What's On Stage
- London Theatre Guide
- New York Post Theater Blog
- New York Times Arts Beat Blog
- Theatre.com (London)
- Steppenwolf Theatre