Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pirate Queen to Sail Into Broadway's Hilton Theatre


Pirate Queen to Sail Into Broadway's Hilton Theatre

Scratch my speculation over whether Curtains will take over Broadway's Hilton Theatre early next year. Today it was announced that The Pirate Queen will gain that coveted 2007 berth, which has the most seats of any venue on the Great White Way. The tuner is expected to open March 22 after an initial out-of-town tryout this fall at Chicago's Cadillac Palace Theatre.

As I've previously mentioned, the new Alain Boublil/Claude-Michel Schönberg swashbuckler musical will star the bewitching Stephanie J. Block in the title role. As storied as Miss Saigon and Les Misérables are in the annals of theatrical history -- and as lovely a performer Block has been in Broadway's The Boy From Oz as Liza Minnelli and in the touring cast of Wicked as Elphaba -- I have a two-fold trepidation over this production.

First, it will be helmed by Frank Galati, whose previous direction has left me bored and befuddled with such works as Seussical, After The Quake and Loving Repeating. Second, the musical is produced by Riverdream, which is primarily known for its tired Riverdance (although I profess that I've never seen it, its reputation has kept me far away).

Perhaps I'm being completely unfair here (and don't be afraid to tell me if I am), but those two points will give me pause in deciding whether or not to see this show.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets to performances in Chicago.
Related Stories:
Curtains' Calling on Broadway? (July 24, 2006)
The Pirate Queen Musical to Sail Into Chicago This Fall (May 15, 2006)
The SOB Five "Worst" of 2005-06 (May 12, 2006)
http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner