Tuesday, November 21, 2006

SOB Readers Doubt Pirate Queen Will Float

SOB Readers Doubt Pirate Queen Will Float

Despite the much ballyhooed addition of Richard Maltby, Jr. and Graciela Daniele to The Pirate Queen's creative team, a plurality of you (48%) think it's doubtful at best that they'll be able to salvage the show in time for its Broadway run, while another 12% are even less certain. All that according to a Steve On Broadway poll asking whether you thought they would succeed in saving the show.

Personally, I'm among the 24% who think the jury is still out. Maltby and Daniele have had their share of hits and misses. On the plus side, Maltby has Miss Saigon and Fosse to his credit, but he also had such misfires as Big and Ring Of Fire. Daniele had a huge hand in Ragtime 's ultimate success and helmed the last revival of Annie Get Your Gun, but unfortunately, Chita Rivera: The Dancer's Life didn't have longlasting legs.

Being the eternal optimist that I am, I never wish failure on any show. But unless the producers are prepared to throw much of their Chicago tryout overboard, the Broadway production is still likely to sink.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Bailing Out A Sinking Pirate (November 15, 2006)
Critics Assail The Pirate Queen (October 31, 2006)
The Pirate Queen (The SOB Review) – Cadillac Palace Theatre, Chicago, IL (October 30, 2006)
The Pirate Queen Sails Into Chicago Opening Tonight (October 29, 2006)
Pirate Queen to Sail Into Broadway's Hilton Theatre (July 27, 2006)
The Pirate Queen Musical to Sail Into Chicago This Fall (May 15, 2006)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 21 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,

Hi Thomas Karki here. I wanted to thank you for your kind words about my performance in Chess. A friend sent me to your blog this morning and I wanted to let you know that I got a chance to read your thoughts. Really good stuff. Keep it up!!!

 
At 21 November, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thomas,

I'm glad you found my site and really appreciate your feedback. Please let me know when you'll be performing again so I can share with my regular readers!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner